2666 Aberdeen Avenue
The Seyler Residence, 1922. Stiles Clements, architect. Romantic interpretation of the classic Spanish Colonial hacienda on approximately 1.5 acres of exotic xeriscape gardens adjacent to Griffith Park. Original elements sensitively and meticulously restored by current celebrity owner. Complementary newer gourmet kitchen and new limestone master bath. Updated systems. Expect a stylish and refined balance of both formal and casual elegance.
- Museum-quality original details include rare tile, ironwork, fixtures, elaborate stenciling and finishesimpeccably restored throughout
- Naturalistic waterfall Inca pool plus formal garden elements including on-axis stairstep cascade, grotto waterfall inspired by the Alhambra and koi pond
- Featured in Architectural Digest twice (1924 and 1998) plus House and Garden (1999)
- Inspired indoor/outdoor living spaces include broad entertaining patio with outdoor fireplace; extensive use of pocket windows and French doors expand the indoor spaces
- 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths including new limestone master bath, library, office, formal dining room and eat-in kitchen all comprising approximately 4,026 square feet per the assessor
- City views from many rooms and the garden
- Great privacy and seclusion
- The definitive example of its kind.
What Becomes a Legend Most?
2869 Durand Drive
Historic, magical Wolf’s Lairan extraordinary 1920s chateau complex commanding its own three-acre mountaintop offers a spectacular 360&Mac251; view overlooking Lake Hollywood, pine forests, city, ocean…the world.
The rare craftsmanship from another era has been exquisitely restored. Find here hand-painted and coffered ceilings, linenfold paneling, parapets, gables, turrets and towers. There are five bedrooms, a library, three baths in the main house, staff quarters including a remarkable two-bedroom guest house by renown architect John Lautner, F.A.I.A., a separate pool house, a pool pavilion and a private office. Walled and gated with TV surveillance, large motor court with five-car covered parking, extensive grounds, grotto pool and spa, ridgeline nature preserve, paths, promenades, fish ponds, fountains, waterfall, folly and romantic historic gardens in the Italian idiom.
Extremely private, in princely condition and very much a world apart, this legend awaits your reign.
The “Reward Estate”
4827 Bonvue Avenue
When Thermador chief Joseph Hill Pengilly reached middle age he must have decided the time was ripe for a personal castle. Going fast were the Depression years. Business was on the up-tick, and comfort and security seemed at hand. Pengilly chose a prime lot with its own jutting knoll as much for the views as for the privacy. He commissioned architect Arthur R. Hutchason to fashion a four-bedroom house with all the trimmings. What he got was a Monterey Colonial jewel, now polished by the current owners to a handsome luster.
To drive, or amble, up the long sweep of the gated drive is to part with quotidian routine more and more at each step. Only the occasional church chimes intrude from the city below to remind the visitoror residentof worldly appointments. There is so much assembled here. Call it a compound if you will, but the lucky will call it “home”.
Just a few details:
- 4 bedrooms; 7 bathrooms; sumptuous master suite.
- Sensational 1940 Monterey Colonial estate of over 5,000 square feet per the owners on a 31,030 square foot lot per the assessor (0.71 acre).
- Gracious public rooms including large living room; dining room; den and breakfast room.
- Guest house; large multi-purpose room for studio/office/gym/family room/???; cabana with kitchenette; large, solar-heated pool; spa and sauna.
- Unrivaled panoramic views from downtown to the ocean. Ideally sited to take advantage of wrap-around exposure.
- Exotic collector’s garden of mature and rare specimen plants, including spectacular native oaks to frame the views. Flat and rolling lawns; numerous patios. Great play areas.
- Remarkable privacy and security behind electric gate; long drive leads to two motor courts, porte-cochere, and two garages with room for 3 cars. A must-see for celebrity clients.
265 South McCadden Place
A great house, like a great meal, starts with superb elements. Combine these ingredients with experience, elan and perhaps a nod to the dramatic and the result can satisfy far longer than expected. If the house wears well, in time, it becomes Classicas here.
How is that? Please look:
- 1929 Italianate landmark with one of Hancock Park’s finest addresses
- 4 bedroom suites; 5 baths in approximately 6,082 square feet on a 13,220 square foot lotall per the assessor
- impressive, grand scale public rooms, including 2-story entry hall with upper loggia; den, sewing room, maid’s quarters
- museum quality materials and craftsmanship are evident throughout, including extensive tile use, ironwork, stained glass windows, stenciled beams, paneling, ornate woodwork, hand painted ceilings and much more. The ambiance of another era and locale is rarely seen.
- sympathetically updated, especially the gourmet eat-in kitchen with top-of-the-line appliances and the luxurious master suite with fireplace, sitting area, walk-in closet and well-appointed master bath
- sun room opens to pool with fountain spa, loggia to gated motor court and 3-car garage/pool house plus patio with bar-be-cue; mature tropical landscaping and dog run
- newer systems, including A/C; significantly retrofitted
“Meet My Next-Door Neighbor, the Mayor!”
617 South Irving Boulevard
Only one homeowner in Los Angeles can state the headline above with a straight faceand deliver on the invitation. Built in 1923, this Mediterranean-revival home is the sole home next-door to Los Angeles’s official Mayoral residence. Last sold in the 1970s by the Getty Oil Company to the current owner, the home retains a great deal of its original character. Here you will find high ceilings, heavy cornice moldings, a coffered ceiling in the dining room, original tile in the baths and a novel, 1930s-era “cocktail room” with its own grand bar installed by former socialite owners (to celebrate the repeal of Prohibition, perhaps?).
And there’s much more:
- 4 bedroom suites and 3.5 baths are in the main house. At the rear, lies a good-sized, detached, above-the-garage, guesthouse. Total living space is 5,301 square feet on a 14,400 square foot lot, according to the tax assessor.
- Downstairs, the main house has a large family room overlooking the garden, a powder room, a breakfast room, a grand entry hall and staircase, a service stairs, maid’s quarters and laundry room.
Upstairs, lie 3 family bedroom suites, including the master suite, with its dressing area plus a nursery or office. The “cocktail room” could be a fourth second floor bedroom suite, media or play room, office or studio.
- A covered patio opens to the flat, grassy garden with mature trees. There is ample room for a pool.
- A long, gated driveway leads to the rear of the garden, the garage/guest house and a motor court.
- Judicious, sympathetic updating and restoration will, here, yield an outstanding property with unique provenance.
Itís the Smart Buy of the Year...
2035 De Mille Drive
You loved it before, but you’ll have to have it now, after a $1.7 million price drop! Limestone and walnut flooring casts notes of elegance and luxury throughout this sleek, freshly-“done”, pristine Modern villa behind the gates of storied Laughlin Park.
There’s room enough for all:
- 4 bedrooms; 5.5 baths in 4,792 square feet on a 13,940 square foot lot, per public records.
- Quality fixtures and finishes installed with a designer’s attention to detail.
- Newer systems, including multi-zoned HVAC.
- Media and family rooms; bar; gym; office; 2 fireplaces.
- Detached guest house / studio / office over 3-car garage with 8-car gated motor court.
- Swimmer’s pool; spa.
- Luxuriant foliage everywhere.
- Chef’s kitchen with top-of-the-line amenities.
- Proverbial “walls of glass” embrace city lights and mountain views.
- Compare to anything else at this price.
The Raymond Griffith Estate
5230 Linwood Drive
Laughlin Park - Los Feliz
Architecture attributed to Lloyd Wright, 1922
Deep inside an enclave unique in Los Angeles lies a garden known to but a few. The enclave: gated, secluded, fabled Laughlin Park. The garden: 0.45 acre of expansive, manicured grounds that roll toward a vista few would believe could lie anywhere south of Montecito. And, oh yes, the villa: 5 bedrooms and 4.5 baths plus library/den of magnificent Old Hollywood carefully maintained and updated for today.
A few details:
- Vintage 1922 Spanish villa filled with character details including Malibu tiles, bottle-bottom windows, arches, stenciled beams, vintage fixtures and more. 5 bedrooms, including maid’s and 4.5 baths. Formerly the home of Raymond Griffith, silent screen star and, later, Golden Era producer of Shirley Temple films.
- Sensitively updated amenities, such as the granite kitchen; 4 fireplaces, including the living room with garden views, the library/den, master suite and in the garden. City views.
- Flexible floor plan accommodates many needs; sellers estimate living area to be approximately 3,700 square feet; newer infrastructure, including roof, plumbing, ducting, seismic retrofitting and electronic wiring.
- Mature grounds, organically nurtured and filled with delights: deep lap pool with lion-head spouts; outstanding cutting and vegetable gardens; massive specimen trees framing enchanting vistas; flat lawns for picnics or play; outdoor patios and garden “rooms”; antique fountains and a pergola with a clinker brick fireplace for evening relaxing deep in the gardenall with astonishing seclusion and serenity in the heart of the city.
They Saved the Best for Last
5152 Los Hermosos Way
Los Feliz Estates
The developers of the Los Feliz Estates had a plan: straighten the streets; make them single-loaded; name them alphabetically and start at the bottom and work up. By the time they reached the top of the development at the “H” street, Los Hermosos Way, the houses were bigger, more deluxeand the views were absolutely spectacular. In this Modern hacienda it’s as though they saved the best for last:
- 3 bedrooms; 4 bathrooms; 2 dens; 4 fireplaces.
- Approximately 3,971 square foot home on an approximately 10,933 square foot lotboth figures per the tax records.
- Huge rooms amply-sized for large gatherings. Great flow; one story only. Thoroughly updated with premium fi nishes and appointments. Central A/C.
- Eat-in, stainless and granite kitchen; lavish master suite; expansive art walls.
- Pool with view terrace; patio with fireplace.
- Panoramic views of the entire L.A. basin from downtown to Long Beach to Catalina, the Westside and the ocean.
- Newer updates. Move-in condition throughout.
- Quiet. 24-hour patrolled neighborhood.
1959 Cummings Drive
Laughlin Park, Los Feliz
Rarely does a brand new, quality home in an establishedand legendaryneighborhood come on the market. Here, however, is this exceptional exception:
- over 7,000 square feet, per the architect, of prime quality construction, finishes and fixtures
- vintage Mediterranean style with modern amenities
- 5 bedrooms; 5.5 bathrooms; maid’s quarters; elegant entry and grand public rooms
- breathtaking downtown to the ocean views from most rooms
inside gated and exclusive Laughlin Park, one of Los Angeles’s most prized communities
- approximately 0.4 acre lot with new landscaping plus mature trees
hardwood floors, custom ironwork and windows, granite gourmet kitchen with center island; CAT 5 wiring. premium fixtures
- 3-car garage with gated motor court
- floorplan affords maximum flexibility for today’s needs (living room, formal dining room, media room, entertainment room with oak wet bar, family room, office, gym with steam room and more)
2149 E. Live Oak Drive
One of the few true walled and gated estates of Los Feliz; approximately 1 acre of walled and gated, park-like rolling lawns and gardens with mint-condition 1922 villa, detached guest house, pool, spa, spectacular downtown views in short, "the works"!6 BR + 5.5 BA
Records 1 to 10 of 136
*Represented both buyer and seller.
†sold above the asking price